Friday, April 11, 2008

Donte Green to NBA.....or not?


Donte Green announced recently his intention to go to the NBA. Here are my thoughts on his decision.

I understand the draw of the NBA, the lifestyle, the money, but I believe that Donte should have stayed.

Donte is a good player. No doubt. But he is not ready yet. He faltered down the stretch and was not a big factor in the Big East. He was often a streaky shooter down the stretch, and needs to develop into a more consistent threat.

I believe he also needs to work more on developing an inside game. His outside shooting is great, but you are not going to always be able to pull up and take the three-pointer. In the NBA, he needs to be able to play inside and get the dirty rebounds and the dirty points.

Also, he has chosen to enter in a year where there is alot of depth. So many good players are entering this year, that is it really worth going to be a mid first-round pick? Don't get me wrong, but Donte only played in the Quarterfinals of the NIT. That was the biggest game of his career. Wouldn't he rather end his career next year with what looks to be a good Syracuse team possibly in the Big East final or the Sweet 16?

If Donte goes, I wish him all the best wishes. But for now, I hope he reconsiders and comes back not only to help the program, but to help himself develop as a player.

A question to ponder is whether Donte Green is better than Demetris Nichols was as a senior? I personally do not believe so, and now Nichols is scrapping for any playing time and has been traded several times. Demetris was more physically and age ready for the NBA, and he isn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

Just my thoughts.

No comments: