Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mount 68, SHU 55


Having only attended games of major-level (Syracuse, UConn, the NIT in MSG) I got my first chance to attend a game at a small conference as a fan, not a reporter. The game could not have any bigger ramifications as Sacred Heart was hosting Mount St. Mary's for the NEC bid into the big dance.

My brother Jeff and I went to the game. We showed up an hour early and got our shirts and towels for the white-out that was happening. The atmosphere was awsome as this game was like the Super Bowl for the kids at SHU and the Mount.

My brother and I were rooting for Sacred Heart as my family personally knows head coach Dave Bike pretty well. Bike has been the coach at SHU for an amazing 30 years and yesterday would have been his first dance to coach in the NCAA D-I Tourny. You just had to root for him.

Although SHU came out and scored first, the Mount quickly rebounded to tie the game and then used a nice run to gain a 13-4 lead. Sacred Heart just never seemed comfortable in the game despite being on its home court.

The Pioneers were sloppy and made lots of forced shots and turnovers. They did get the game close with about two minutes left but a very iffy foul call on a shot with six seconds left sealed the Pioneers fate.

The Referees if I might say, were god-awful. They called fouls on every play and did not let the kids play. When there are 20 fouls in the second half alone there is something wrong.

As my brother and I left the arena, I felt pretty disappointed. I really wanted SHU to win and see Bike get his chance in the big dance, but it couldn't happen.

Hopefully next year the Pioneers can do it.

No comments: