Sunday, February 24, 2008

Top 20 Countdown: No. 8-Captain Clutch


If there is one man on the Yankees who represents everything the Yankees represent, it is El Capitan, Captain Clutch, Derek Jeter. I used to not be a big Jeter fan because all the girls thought the was cute, but over time, I have come to see him as one of the best players in the game of baseball who I can never boo.

So anyway, its last summer and the Yankees and Red Sux are in the middle of their epic five-game series (or sweep) and it's game three. The Red Sox have a 5-4 lead going into the ninth inning, and the Yankees have a runner on third with noone out. Bernie Williams strikes out. Johnny Damon strikes out. So its up to Jeter against one of the best closer in baseball, Johnathon Papelbon.

Papelbon tries to beat the captain with an inside pitch, but Jeter gets some wood on it, bloops it into left field and the Yankees tie the game. I was watching the game downstairs with my pops and my brother Tim, and when that happened, we all went nuts. Derek Jeter beating the Red Sox is just classic.

Of course, the Yankees won the game in the 10th inning when the Giambino went deep to put the dagger in the Red Sox and this game would I believe, set the table for the sweep.

Anytime you have Derek Jeter heroics and a victory over the Red Sox, it's bound to be a great moment.

No comments: