Monday, October 6, 2008

Beasts of the East


I haven't posted in awhile and I figured I would start again. While I was watching TV today, the debate came up about whether the Redskins or the Giants were the best team in the NFL. The fact this is even a question makes me want to laugh.

In the classic movie Rocky IV, the great Apollo Creed says: "I've been with the best and I've beaten the best."

To be the best team in the NFL, you have to beat the best. The Giants BEAT the Redskins. Let me repeat that. The Giants BEAT the Redskins, 16-7. The Giants held the Redskins to 209 yards and 11 first downs. They dominated them in every aspect of the football game.

The Giants are the Super Bowl Champions. They have eight straight games. They are one of two undefeated teams in the NFL. They are the champs.

Yes, I will admit, Washington's wins have been more impressive. Defeated Arizona, New Orleans, Philadelphia and Dallas are great wins. But when you played the defending champs, the New York Football Giants, you got beat. You cannot be the best team when you got beat by another team in your division who is undefeated.

This shouldn't be a conversation. The Giants are the best team in the NFL, and they have beaten the Redskins at home quite convincingly. Until the champs get beat, they are the best team in the NFL in my estimation.

It doesn't matter if you beat better teams. When you lose head-to-head, you cannot claim you are a better team in a sport like football at this point in the season. The Redskins should just enjoy being the second-best team in football, behind the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS AND UNDEFEATED NEW YORK GIANTS.

No comments: